News & Events

For Immediate Release

Bookmark & Share
Contact: John Sterling, 914-740-2196, jsterling@genengnews.com
Immunotherapy Market to Reach $200 Billion by 2020

New Rochelle, NY, December 2, 2016—The worldwide immunotherapy drug market is predicted to reach $200 billion by 2020, up from $114 billion reported in 2015, according to a special immunotherapy supplement published by Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN).

“Immunotherapy represents an extremely promising investment opportunity that could bolster the fortunes of the biotech and pharma industries,” says John Sterling, Editor in Chief of GEN.

Immuno-oncology, accounting for only 30% of the total immunotherapy drug market, has historically drawn the greatest attention. The remaining 70% of the market is now at the brink of significantly impacting the biotech and pharma industries by being able to address a number of diseases including infectious, autoimmune, respiratory, cardiovascular, ophthalmic and neurological diseases.

Immunotherapeutic technologies that Wall Street should be keeping an eye on include checkpoint inhibitors, CAR T cells, adoptive cell transfer, and cancer vaccines, all of which rely on the body’s own immune system to fight against cancer and other diseases.

“Immunotherapy is no longer on the threshold, but is actually in the beginning stages of personalized medicine and can eventually save millions of lives from a wide range of diseases,” notes Sterling.

The GEN Immunotherapy Supplement includes the following features: Immunotherapy Encompasses More than Immuno-oncology, Developing Biomarkers for Improved Therapeutics, Treating Solid Tumors with CAR T Cells, Circumventing Cancer Cells’ Defenses, and a Therapeutic Cancer Vaccine Roundup.

You can access the supplement here.


Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (GEN), published 21 times a year by Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., is the most widely read biotechnology news magazine worldwide. Covering bench to bedside for over 35 years, GEN includes articles on Drug Discovery, Bioprocessing, OMICS, and Translational Medicine.